November 25, 2022
This large culvert project at Moose Creek near Dawson City underscored the benefits of AIL products being easy and economical to ship and install in remote Northern locations. In this case, the components for an entire 115 m x 1500 mm culvert were delivered on one double flatbed, dispatched from our Ayr, Ontario, facility.
Bolt-A-Plate culvert perfect for high cover application
The Yukon Department of Highways and Public Works determined that 4 mm thick Bolt-A-Plate Round offered the optimum combination of hydraulic flow and strength for this ~ 20 m high cover application.
Customer’s early planning optimized the construction schedule
The Department’s early planning allowed the project to be tendered in 2021, with the installation scheduled for the optimal construction season in 2022. The installation went ahead as scheduled and without any hitches.
“AIL supported the project from concept to completion, offering pre-design assistance on selecting a suitable structure cross-section shape, and travelling to the project location to provide on-site support.”
— Luke Wadey, Yukon Department of Highways and Public Works
Lightweight buried metal bridges and culverts are easy to ship and install
- Lightweight nestable components are easy to ship anywhere
- Lower structure, foundation and installation costs compared to concrete structures and girder-style bridges
- Can be constructed with local crews and equipment
- Owners with in-house resources can complete some or all of the construction
- Lighter-weight components eliminate need for larger capacity (or multiple) lifting devices
- Many applications can be built within accelerated construction timelines
Designed for Northern construction conditions with flexibility built in
We understand the unique requirements of the North and our infrastructure solutions reflect that. Our lightweight and strong infrastructure solutions are economical, resilient and sustainable for Northern construction projects of all types.