May 9, 2022
This Bolt-A-Plate stream crossing project provided the City of Mission with an economical, resilient and sustainable solution that will serve them well for many years.
Economical – Compared to a concrete structure, our Buried Metal Bridge solution saves time and money on all aspects: material, shipping, foundations and footings, labour and equipment.
Resilient – This wide-span, open-bottom culvert has built-in washout resilience to extreme weather events caused by climate change.
Sustainable – Steel has a much lower carbon footprint than concrete and this solution offers a seamless, wider and safer road surface than girder style bridges, with no expansion joints to maintain. Plus, it will have virtually no life cycle maintenance requirements.
Culvert project sole-sourced based on another customer’s recommendation
We are pleased to have been sole-sourced on this project based on a very strong recommendation from another customer who valued the “trusted advisor” quality of our relationship to provide the most efficient solutions in a professional and timely manner.
Overcoming challenges as this culvert project progressed
Our Technical Sales Representative worked very closely with our project partners through the full project cycle. Some challenges were encountered along the way, including:
- The adding of an inlet pipe into the structure after it was manufactured.
- The original design was to have the structure sitting on lock blocks on a grade/elevation difference.
- Nuts and bolts were not labeled properly and were not offloaded at the site.
He was able to take quick action to resolve these issues by:
- Working with our Engineering Team and the Consultant to come up with a saddle plate solution and, once approved, have it manufactured and shipped to the site.
- Collaborating with the Consultant to come up with a larger structure on cast-in-place footings and having the structure buried at different levels to meet the grade differences.
- Tracking down missing components and having them sent back to the site ASAP.
Despite the challenges, the installation was still completed ahead of schedule, thanks to the great work by Project Contractor, Tiegen Excavating of Abbotsford.
“The Bolt-A-Plate arch culvert by Atlantic Industries is a great product that can be used when minimizing impacts to environmentally sensitive areas.”
– Wedler Engineering”